Being A dedicated Christian, for real, is not easy. The world has its own system; the “church” has a system, And Yahweh has A system. It’s easier to follow the “world” or the church’s systems than to follow God. This world that we are in is not a friend to Yahweh or his people. Whether we like it or not, if you are a Christian there is a conflict between us and the world because we have different attitudes. In the Book of Matthew chapter 5-7 in the Bible, we see what has become known as The Sermon on The Mount, or the beatitudes you should notice that they talk about an ideology that is extremely different from that of the world and praise pride, not humility.
The key to the Sermon on the Mount is Matt 5:20, “For I say unto you, That except your righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.” The main theme is true righteousness.
Check out Matthew. 5:13 “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how [a]can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.
This bar has a lot of meat, but the main point is “distinctiveness”. Salt is always distinctively different from whatever it is being used. That should describe you if you are a Christian.
As followers of Christ’s our character is like salt. In biblical times, all-grain offerings were supposed to have salt according to Leviticus 2:13. Well now, today we are called to be the salt of the earth. To really understand what this means, we have to really understand salt and what it is. So let's break it down.
- Salt is distinctive. This means It’s not the same as the food it’s added to. It’s different. That's one reason it’s powerful, Christians should not be soiled by the world. “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. (James 1:27)
- Salt preserves. It keeps things from spoiling. Christians are to preserve the world and keep the “germs” from causing things to go bad.
- Salt penetrates. It doesn't play. You put it on food and it takes over. It’s an aggressive substance. It inserts a new quality, substance, and life. It digs deep and changes what it was put on. Yahweh wants Christians to penetrate the world and insert a new life into it.
- Salt adds flavor. It has an influence on how things taste. When food doesn't have enough salt, you say it tastes bland. Salt brings out the best in food. So to Christians should add flavor to the world around, and bring the best out of others.
- Salt purifies. Elisha cleansed the waters at Jericho with salt. In ancient times, newborn babies were washed in salt to cleanse their skin. Salt in a wound cleanses the area. We should cleanse the area around us...like salt.
- Salt can be a poison. We all Know salt kills slugs. Salt can also kill grass and some weeds There are some things in that we must kill!
Salt can be good but too much salt is bad. How many of you like food with too much salt.
Any Christian who repels the lost is salt that is too strong.
I’ll share 3 types
- In your face Christians
- Holier-than-thou Christians
- Cosmetic Christians
Christians who are A flavoring influence on those around them are contagious Christians.
I’ll share 3 types:
- Costly Christians- believers who live out their faith even when it demands sacrifice.
- Compassionate Christians
- Contagious Christians
Today most of the salt in stores is a man-made chemical called sodium chloride, but back then it came from the water. When it was exposed to the elements it would lose taste. As Christians, being exposed to too much of the world causes us to lose our flavor.
So we are to “salt” the earth because the world is:
- Bland and tasteless
- Decaying and rotting
- Corrupt and foul
But salt with no flavor is good for what? Nothing, not only is it useless it is destructive. And so it worthless and and should get thrown out
Look at your life. Can you really say you are living as salt in this world? We have seen enough falsehood, hypocrisy, and weak living. We are to be about our father's business, purifying, preserving, penetrating, causing thirst, and adding flavor, so that God can use our lives and testimonies for his glory.