Total Time: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
Makes: 7 servings
- 1 package (8 ounces) manicotti shells
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil or 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 container (15 ounces) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and mashed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium ripe avocado, sliced, optional
- Cook manicotti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, basil, wine, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain manicotti. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, avocado, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Stuff cheese mixture into manicotti shells. Spread 1 cup sauce into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Arrange manicotti over sauce. Pour remaining sauce over top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. If desired, garnish with avocado slices.
SOURCE: Taste of Home