This is the mother of all hummus dips, if such a title existed! Epic layered hummus dip, topped with perfectly-spiced meat mixture with warm flavors like allspice and cinnamon. Finished with fresh tomatoes, a sprinkle of parsley and toasted pine nuts. The perfect dip for sharing, but it can easily stand as a simple, light meal. #hummus #dip #hummusdip #glutenfreerecipes #appetizer #lunch #healthyrecipes #mediterraneanfood #lebanesercipes #lebanesefood #middleeasternfood #mediterraneanrecipes" />
Almost nothing is as satisfying to my Mediterranean palate as a bowl of authentic homemade hummus dip, made of these 5 simple ingredients: chickpeas, garlic, tahini paste, citrus, and pinch of kosher salt. Add a drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil and some pita chips or crunchy veggies to dip, and I’m a happy camper!
Because hummus is loaded with nutrition and plant-based protein, it can easily stand as a light, healthy dinner (or lunch.)
The possibilities are truly endless! And it’s all about what to serve with your hummus dip. Here are three simple ideas:
2- Mezze Platter, staring hummus! This one is a regular at my house.
3- Today’s epic layered hummus dip with spiced ground beef!
Let me tell you a bit more about this layered hummus dip…
1. Obviously, this recipe begins with hummus. You can make it ahead of time using my tried-n-true recipe. If you don’t have the time to make hummus in advance, don’t sweat it, you can use your favorite store-bought hummus (I won’t judge!) Just make sure it’s plain hummus (you don’t need any competing flavors here.)
2. Make the spiced meat mixture. Get your onions, garlic and green peppers cooking in some extra virgin olive oil. Add ground beef. Cook until nicely browned (and drain any fat, of course). Then, add in spices and tomato sauce. Cook another 5 minutes or so. Remove from heat.
3. Layer baby, layer! Spread your creamy hummus in a bowl. Drizzle a good bit of Early Harvest EVOO. Top with the spiced meat mixture. Add fresh parsley, diced tomatoes, a sprinkle of chopped onion. Finally, add toasted pine nuts (if using.)
That’s it! Easy!
WHAT CAN YOU SERVE WITH THIS HUMMUS DIP?
Obviously, I’m all about some warm pita pockets or pita chips to serve along. If you want to add a couple more small plates, you can do a big bowl of Mediterranean couscous salad; Tomato Salad; or Balela salad (more chickpeas!)
Best layered hummus dip
Epic 3-layer hummus dip, prepared Lebanese-style. Creamy hummus, topped with a layer of perfectly-spiced meat mixture with warm flavors like allspice and cinnamon. Finished with fresh tomatoes, a sprinkle of parsley and toasted pine nuts.
For Spiced Beef:
- Extra virgin olive oil (I used Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 small red onion, chopped, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 8 oz lean ground beef (I used ButcherBox 100% grass-fed and grass-finished beef)
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp toasted pine nuts, optional
- Prepare hummus in advance using this recipe for creamy homemade hummus OR prepare 16-oz of quality store-bought plain hummus.
- To make the spiced beef topping, heat 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a skillet until shimmering but not smoking. Add most of the onions, keeping about 1 tbsp or so for later. Add green peppers and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes or so, stirring regularly, until softened.
- Add lean ground beef and saute until fully browned (about 8 mins or so.) Carefully drain any excess fat and return skillet to heat. Season beef with kosher salt, pepper, allspice, sumac, and cinnamon. Stir in tomato sauce, and cook another 5 mins or so, stirring occasionally.
- Assemble the layered hummus dip! Spread hummus in a serving bowl. Pour a generous drizzle of quality extra virgin olive oil (I used our Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil.) Top with the spiced meat, fresh chopped tomatoes, parsley, the remaining red onion, and toasted pine nuts.
- Serve immediately with warm pita pockets or these homemade pita chips.